Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Man, The Rain & The IPP Test

Wanted to blog yesterday, but didn't have time to. I'm supposed to get out of here in two minutes! This'll be quick haha!

Anyway, I think yesterday was a remarkable day with a single highlight. I had IPPT! And I passed. Something to give thanks for, but that's not the point. I had to take a train, and then a bus, to Khatib camp from home.

When I left my house to go to Lorong Chuan MRT station, it was cloudy and I thought, "Hey, that's great, I hate running in the sun!". And I prayed that the test would be over quickly so that I could get back home fast - FY and SH were coming to practice at my place.

When I got off at Marymount just two stops away, it was POURING like a man making teh tarik! I was rather dismayed at first, as I thought not to bring a brolly - just a somewhat waterproof sweater. Furthermore, my window to take the test, mandatory every year, closes on the fifteenth and it was already the thirteenth. I was all of a flutter really.

So I meandered to the bus stop (trying to stay under the residential flats as much as possible!) while the rain continued incessantly. There was an open part where I needed to scoot to an overhead bridge and I was fervently praying for the rain to lessen. In the end, I wore my jacket and ran for it.

When I came to the bus stop, I waited quite a while for my bus. Meanwhile, the sky grew steadily darker and before long, it wasn't just pouring - the rain was TORRENTIAL and the wind was HOWLING. I prayed earnestly for the rain to lessen so that I could board the bus when it came without getting too wet...

Then I stopped. And gave it further thought. And convened with God. And slowly, one by one, all those little prayers seemed foolish and trivial. FY and SH were coming? They'd get in just fine without me at home. Praying for the rain to stop? The rain wasn't bad when I ran for the bridge. And how wet could I get while boarding the bus anyway?

In the end, the main thing was that I had to take the IPPT on that day because my window was closing and I could not delay the test. So I prayed the prayer that was at the very heart of the matter - that I would be able to complete the test on that day. A peace came upon me and I grinned - and I'll bet that everyone at the bus stop who saw me smile thought I was stark raving mad haha!

The rain lessened just enough for me to board the bus without getting unduly wet. As the journey went on, the sky lightened considerably and the rain got progressively lighter. By the time I reached my destination, there were clear patches in a grey sky and the rain was no more than an intermittent drizzle.

The stations went fine - got As for all the stations. It's usually the 2.4 that I've trouble with, and more so this time. There was an error with the electronic system and the instructors spent a lot of time on it. I was getting impatient again when I remembered my prayer before, and was just glad that I COULD complete the test that day even though the sky was still rather overcast, and that's all that really mattered.

I got a D for 2.4, enough for a pass, and I was happy and thankful to God for that. From that, I learnt that the need is the most important thing to be prayed for and when you're not in a desperate situation, it's really easy for that need to be smothered in a sea of wants in your mind's eye.

Thank you God. =)

No comments: