Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Time

Time is one of those funny things that we humans try to grasp firmly. Yet it slips out of the hand like butter. It seems to have a mind of it's own. When you want it to speed up, it snails. When you want it to slow down, it disappears from view quickly, as though it were a shadow in the night. Does time ever listen? Has it no master?

Time really flies when you're enjoying yourself. When I have fun with music or with friends, the party never fails to end too early. I inadvertently find myself wishing for one more golden hour of enjoyment. Yet, the realities of everyday life press hard on the conscience, and it presses ever harder as the years slip by in a wink of an eye.

Then there are occasions where time seems to be wading wearily through treacle. A boring lecture would be a good example of this. Or mundane activities such as paperwork. It is plain to see that the soporific qualities of a lecturer's voice has a retarding effect on space time! =P

A conscientious, reliable person though, may keep track of time better than others. Yet he, like any other person, has no hold on the past. What has happened has happened, and cannot be undone. How many times have I wished to turn back time and live life the right way right from the start? Each cause for regret has consequences and the bigger the regret, the bigger the consequences.

I find it hard not to envy those that have made mostly the right choices along the way, however pointless the emotion may be. Because of bad decisions that I've made, I currently no longer have access to some things that I may have freely indulged in. Yet by God's grace, I must look at what I still have, and what I may yet have access to in the near future.

God, I need to rely on Your considerable reserves of unconditional love. So too, do I need to relearn and revise my concepts of gratitude yet again, for it is the open secret to contentment that so few in the first world willingly grasp. Amen.

No comments: